Sunday, March 8, 2020

2:45:01 and Beyond: Amy Wachler

In talking with Amy about this series, she expressed concerns that she hadn't come close enough to the OTQ to be included, which of course was very untrue.  While 2:45:00 is the line in the sand for an OTQ, this series is the exact opposite as far as specific time standards!  Amy overcame great adversity to be healthy enough to set the goal to OTQ, and continues to fight every day to be the best person she can be.  She shares great messages about how we should stay on our own paths in the sport, and that "guilt is a waste of energy."  Her story is full of gems of advice and inspiration!
Name: Amy Wachler
Age: 32
City/State: Boston, MA
Occupation: Marketing Manager

Hobbies/Interests outside of running: spending time with friends and family, shopping and anything related to fashion and styling/design, swimming, cycling, yoga, reading, traveling and sleeping!

Background info:
I grew up swimming competitively and I just loved working hard and the whole process of training. I remember watching the 1996 Olympics and being so mesmerized and in awe of what those athletes could achieve. I had to stop all sports when I was 13, though. I started restricting food when I was 7 and was diagnosed with anorexia at the age of 9, which is pretty young to be diagnosed with an eating disorder. What followed were many, many doctors, therapists and three intensive inpatient treatment center stays, and some overall pretty terrifying years just fighting to make it. It took about 5 or 6 years to get healthy enough to where I could start exercising again, and when I did had no interest in competitive sports because I think I felt like I had failed in a way, having never really accomplished what I wanted to with swimming.

When I found running, almost accidentally and with no specific agenda other than doing something I loved, it was an outlet to process a new chapter of my life and my health after so many years of struggle. It was also a conduit to finding peace with my body and learning to appreciate it for just staying alive and fighting through years of treating it so poorly. I couldn’t believe I could run 26.2 miles and feel so alive and connected to my body in a healthy and invigorating way.  I’m not sure if I understood it then but I think it was almost meditative for me – a time when I fell into flow with the rhythm of my feet and was able to focus on one single thing, rather than constant screaming voices in my head that I had eaten too much or wasn’t small enough. Running brought me freedom. But at that point it was also a bit intertwined with my eating disorder and I think I thought I could get away with training hard and still not really taking care of myself. I had a lot to learn.

When did you first decide to go for an OTQ?
I don’t remember exactly when I learned about OTQ’ing or decided I wanted to go for it, but it was a couple of years after I moved to Boston and had started to taking marathon running seriously. I ran my first marathon in 2010 (Chicago) on a whim for fun with absolutely no plans or real training and I had the time of my life. I qualified for Boston but even then, didn’t really know when it was or understand the history and significance of it. I was really just learning what it meant to be a runner and cultivating a new identity as an adult and separate from the eating disorder. I ran a few more marathons based on when I felt like it or when I had friends who wanted to run them with me, or we’d make it a trip to see a new state and I’d run a marathon there for fun.

Once I moved to Boston in 2012, I really fell in love with the sport, training and got the bug just from living in the middle of such a running mecca. I’m a perfectionist and pretty hard on myself, so I tend to go all-in whenever I commit to something. I ran my first Boston in 2013 and I think that going through that experience, the incredible joy and high of running it for the first time, juxtaposed against the absolute terror and sadness of the bombing just a few hours later, ignited a fire that was already burning in me to run brave for, and in this city, and to find strength and inspiration in the sport. In 2014, I ran 3:06, just three weeks after running a 3:09 at Boston. I was in my late 20’s and had only been running competitively for about 4 or 5 years and was working with a well-respected coach in Boston who believed in me and that I would run sub-3 that Fall. As I celebrated with my parents on Boylston in 2014, having just run a PR and also feeling such hope and love for the city one year after so much suffering, I whispered my goal of wanting to try to run 2:45 by 2020. That was six years away and based on the progress I was making, seemed achievable.
 Races attempted to OTQ at and the outcomes:
I was after 2:45 before I was under 3 hours, and I that was the first problem – I was so focused on a long-term goal that I wasn’t training with the patience and respect that it takes to tackle it one step at a time. When you combine that intense drive toward a goal with a body that really didn’t have the necessary experience and strength to handle so many marathons so quickly, it’s a risky setup.

I believed I was far enough into recovery to run fairly high mileage and add in a ton of cross training, but I wasn’t. I wasn’t eating enough, I had never gotten a period in my life, and by 2015 I was getting injured almost every fall and had to keep pulling out of marathons, or wasn’t able to run them at my full potential. I was able to stay in shape swimming and biking, and I would come back, build to the point where I could run a race and then really start training, but then six months later something else would pop up. It’s infuriating, heartbreaking and if I’m being honest, some of my injuries and the mental and emotional pain they brought on was just as hard as fighting my eating disorder.

There was shame in admitting that I had six stress fractures in four years or wasn’t coming anywhere close to what I had said I wanted to do. I watched as women I used to beat in races broke three hours and then OTQ’d, and that was really hard to see at times. But everyone has a different path in life and once I learned how to stand back and look at things objectively, I realized that I actually have come far and my body has already allowed me to do some incredible things, almost given me a second and third and fourth chance. If I wanted to capitalize on those chances and see what was really possible, I had to slow down, reprioritize and trust the process. It hasn’t been easy and there have been many hiccups along the way, but I’m learning how to train and race with more compassion for myself and joy along the way.

What did you gain from this journey/what are you most proud of?
I’m proud of myself for how I have stayed the course on my own path to recovery and success in the sport. I feel like I’m finally at a place where I am having fun with running and just trust the process. I learned that sometimes, you have to ask more questions when certain doctors tell you that you’ll never get better or that there’s nothing left to try anymore.

I know in my gut that I’ve got what it takes to run well, but more than anything I want to run FREE and happy. I think I learned more about what it really means to take care of yourself, both physically, emotionally and spiritually. How critical nutrition and rest are for any type of progress – in my career, my relationships and in sports. And I learned how to be in recovery from an eating disorder as an adult, which is very different than when you are young. 

The last couple times I’ve come back from an injury, it’s been with a healthier mindset and with the help of the right team of coaches, therapists, nutritionists, strength coaches and an overall kinder and more mature version of Amy. I also faced some big fears in my recovery and learned that I could handle them and that I couldn’t run well if I didn’t take care of that first. It’s still a battle every day to make sure I’m giving my body what it needs and turning down the radio dial on the voices that tell me I failed or am not thin/fast/whatever “enough”, but it’s worth it, because on the other end of those challenges is the ability to run and LIVE the way I want to.

Do you have any regrets or things you wish you’d done differently in your OTQ pursuit?
Sometimes I regret that I didn’t slow down at first and take better care of myself when I started running. I wish I had not tried to push mileage and jump so high that I broke myself many times over. But I also believe things happen for a reason and that I needed to learn the lessons I did before I could achieve big goals. I needed to learn to take easy days easy, that it’s okay to not run a marathon for a year, that food is fuel and no foods are “bad” and that guilt is a waste of energy. I needed to learn that we ALL go through these challenges and that it’s okay to struggle. I needed to learn the “why” behind my running.

What message would you like to send to those following your running pursuits?
Even if I never achieve certain time standard, I’m proud of what I’ve learned and beyond grateful to just be able to live a happy and healthy life. Never count yourself out despite what you’ve been through in the past.

Tell us something unique about you.
I lived in France for six months during college, traveled to Africa twice and India four times.

What’s next?
I’m slowly building toward a spring/summer marathon at Grandma’s. My number one goal is to stay healthy and have fun with it. Last fall I had two injuries that ended up helping me realize I had some stuff going on with my gut that needed attention, and it’s been a huge blessing in disguise because I’m feeling so much better and as a result, running much better! I work with a wonderful, smart, crazy-talented and incredibly supportive coach who believes in me and has helped me cultivate a sense of confidence in myself I never had, and I know in my heart that will take me to new places. But regardless of the outcome, I hope my story helps others feel inspired, connected and never alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment