Tuesday, March 3, 2020

2:45:01 and Beyond: Tawny Bybee

I have been pumped to share Tawny's story.  I've followed her on Strava for quite awhile, and we first met in person before we both ran Grandma's 2019.  We really connected while running 18 miles of Indy 2019 together (I even stole the manual splits she took!), and afterward bonded over our shared feelings about not achieving the OTQ.  She also offered me many kind words when I lost my brother and is an incredibly kind person.

I followed her training prior to both Grandma's and Indy, and this woman is tough!  Her long pace runs amazed me; she could do 18 miles at 6:15 pace or faster with no stops in training.  Her experience goes to show how cruel the marathon can be; I can attest that her fitness was far better than her finishing times showed in both of those races.  She is also a mom of 4 and has over 80 nieces and nephews!  She was my first interviewee to give me stats on her arm span (6 feet!).  Her message about wishing she'd been more forgiving to herself will resonate with all runners who have had a race they were unhappy with (i.e., all runners!).  I am really glad I've connected with her through this journey.
Name: Tawny Bybee
Age: 33
City/State: Alpine, Utah
Occupation: Stay at home mom of four kids; previously coached high school track and cross country for 5 years.

Hobbies/interests outside of running: 
I played basketball for 7 years before I started running! I play the piano and enjoy cooking and baking. I love the outdoors and traveling!

When did you start chasing the OTQ and what inspired you to try? 
I started chasing the OTQ just under two years ago. I had several disappointing experiences in the marathon and was telling some family about it. My sister-in-law told me that maybe I should just give up in the marathon. That got my mind spinning and my blood boiling a little bit. I responded with, "No, because I'm going to qualify for the Olympic Trials in the marathon." She didn't have much of a response to that. I also felt like it was something that would be hard to achieve, but it was in my wheelhouse if I worked hard enough.

Tell us about the races you attempted to OTQ at and the outcomes: 
I tried three times to qualify. Each time was a heartbreaking disaster and I'm not sure why. 

The first was Grandma's Marathon in June. I had a few setbacks on the buildup, but I felt my fitness was more than there. I ran a 1:18 half just a few months before and built on that fitness. I felt perfectly fine through 16-17 right on pace and then my body rebelled, and I came in just under 3 hours. 

The second was the Monumental Indianapolis Marathon. My buildup for this was flawless. No injuries. I ran a 1:16 half. I did an 18 mile marathon pace run at altitude at 6:13 pace. I felt like there was no question I would achieve the goal. Just like at Grandma's, the body shut down. A few miles later than the previous marathon, but I went from feeling perfect at mile 18 to legs burning for an unknown reason at mile 20. It was heartbreaking to shuffle in to the finish in a 2:56.

The third attempt was at the St. Jude Marathon. I didn't tell anyone about this race besides my husband and close family. I also told a good running friend who is a doctor because she wanted to fly out with me and do some tests. The same thing happened and we ended up doing some lactate blood tests and other tests as soon as it happened. It was heartbreaking.
 
What did you gain from this journey? 
So much. I've learned so much about what my body is capable of. I was able to do things that I never thought was possible. I've gained so much from the running community and met so many great people (including Sara!). With each failure I've also learned a little more about my body that can benefit me in the future.

Do you have any regrets or things you wish you'd done differently in your OTQ pursuit? 
Honestly, as far as training goes, I don't think I would change anything. I felt like I had a great coach who gave me all the tools I needed. I think the one thing I would do differently is be more forgiving to myself when things didn't go my way. We can only control so much.
What message would you like to send to those following your running pursuits? 
Chasing a big goal is scary and unpredictable. You have to acknowledge the victories along the way and see how far you've come despite the final outcome. Things will never go perfectly, but eventually there will be a magical day that makes all the hard work worth it.

Tell us something unique about yourself: 
I always joke about my 6 foot arm span - yes, it's real. I also have been able to juggle very well since I was 10 years old. I also have over 80 nieces and nephews. My husband and I are both the 8th child in our families!

What's next for you: 
Boston Marathon for fun. Hopefully a smoking fast half marathon this summer and vengeance at the St. George Marathon in October.

No comments:

Post a Comment