Wednesday, March 18, 2020

2:45:01 and Beyond: Shannon Miller Bain

I met Shannon in Houston at the end of her amazing 6 marathons in 13 months journey!  All 6 of these marathons were fast too - including a 2:45:47 at Jacksonville Bank.  I really admire her tenacity and grit to fight for the qualifying time until the end.  I also admire her faith and never give up attitude.  She didn't quite make the Marathon Trials, but she's already giving it another go trying to qualify for the 10k at the Track and Field Trials - what a rock star!
Name: Shannon Miller Bain
Age: 35
City/State: Charleston, SC
Occupation: Group Fitness instructor, personal trainer, health coach

Hobbies/interests outside of running:
I love the beach, warm weather, animals, baking, and anything active and outdoors! 

When did you start chasing the OTQ and what inspired you to try?
About December 2018 while recovering from anemia (super low numbers). It's always been a dream of mine to run in the marathon Olympic trials! 

Tell us about the races you attempted to OTQ at and the outcomes.
6 marathons in 1 year:

December 15, 2018 - first rust buster in over 6 years in 2:54 (stomach sick night before race)

6 weeks later in January 2019 - Miami Marathon - 2nd overall female in 2:54/3?? 

Serious training, then Grandma's marathon June 2019 - 2:46 (felt sooo much energy left over afterwards) 

October 13,2019 – got into Chicago marathon for charity draw and raised $$$ in order to race; got in last minute and had to start in corral A - 2:45:28 (according to my Garmin), 2:47 (official time)

Withdrew from CIM 2019 unfortunately - let my fear of flying be bigger than my faith to qualify.  Got into Houston later that week! 

Then also decided to race Jacksonville Ameris Bank Marathon on January 5, 2020 - 2:45:47 (stopped during race to pop a squat due to stomach upset, and that cost me my qualification time....)

Decided to try 2 weeks later a final attempt at Houston 2020....2:48....
What did you gain from this journey?
A LOT...  To believe in myself, never give up, and keep trying! 

What are you most proud of about your OTQ pursuit?
That in less than a year I could've qualified for the Olympic Trials with the help of my coaches, ambassador groups, and my God given talents. That God is awesome!

Do you have any regrets or things you wish you’d done differently in your OTQ pursuit?
I wish I would've flown to CIM to race. I would've tried harder to not let "life incidents" hold me back from chasing my dreams. I would have run more miles. I cross-trained A TON! 

What message would you like to send to those following your running pursuits?
To always BELIEVE in the bigger power above, believe in yourself, keep putting one foot in front of the other, and never give up! 

Tell us something unique about yourself.
I competed in the violin before I started to run. I have asthma. 

What’s next for you?
Not sure about any races but I'm trying to qualify in the 10k for the 2020 Olympic trials for track & field. 

Anything else you want to share?
Thank you for inviting me to tell a bit about my story. Always believe and keep trying....

You can connect with Shannon at:
@smillerm67 Instagram 
Shannon Miller Bain -FB
Twitter @smillerm67 Shannon Miller

No comments:

Post a Comment