Monday, February 3, 2020

2:45:01 and Beyond: Danielle Turk-Bly

I met Danielle on social media through our mutual quest, and what struck me the most about her was her kindness.  While she has big personal goals, it’s clear that the well-being of others is more important to her. Even though we have never met in person, she offered support and consolation when I lost my brother, even saying she wanted to OTQ at CIM so badly since I didn't get the chance to try there.  My heart broke for her when she missed her planned last attempt at Houston due to illness.

We finished less than 30 seconds apart at Grandma's Marathon 2019 before we knew each other.  We planned to work together in our OTQ attempts at CIM and then at Houston, but God had other plans for us both.  I sure hope our paths cross at a future race!  I would also love to take one of her yoga classes.


Name: Danielle Turk-Bly

Age: 35 1/2 (my boys think the half is pretty important so I'm including it too ;) )

City/State: Burlington, ND

Occupation: Stay-at-home homeschooling mom of three boys and 200 RYT yoga teacher soon to be 500 RYT on the side

What are your hobbies and interests outside of running?
Skiing.  I am first and foremost an alpine junkie.  However, skiing isn't as easily accessible so I love anything outdoors.  My passion is yoga and teaching yoga. I also love being in the kitchen cooking and baking gluten free and dairy free foods, (I am celiac with an autoimmune so it's important to me).

When did you start chasing an OTQ and what inspired you to try?
I started chasing an OTQ about 5 years ago.  I was an alpine racer my entire childhood life.  I grew up in Minnesota on ice and hills and was on the junior Olympic development team, but never got to see that dream come true, because of an eating disorder.  My dad was my coach and I always felt like I missed an opportunity to prove my hard work could pay off.  He passed away and when I realized skiing wasn't an option I found solace and talent in running.  It seemed like a long-shot, but I had a coach plant the seed and I went after it ever since.

Tell us about the races you attempted to OTQ and the outcomes.
I've tried an OTQ attempt at Houston last year with a teammate of mine, however, I let my anxiety get the better of me as well as a hamstring injury from running on North Dakota ice right before the race.  I attempted an OTQ again at Grandmas, but never wanted to push the red line so I finished comfortably at a 2:47 and knew it was within my reach (the first time I really knew it could happen).  My final attempt was at CIM.  I went solo (my family couldn't come with me).  I was a bundle of nerves again and came close, but not close enough.  I feel like my anxiety got the better of me again, but I also never want to run the red line with an eating disorder history so I never let my HR push past 135 (so again, I knew an OTQ was possible).

What have you gained from this journey?
I have always struggled with anxiety and impostor syndrome.  I never felt like I belonged in skiing and I don't always feel like I should call myself a runner.  I have learned through all of this that I have more love and see more value in myself than I thought imaginable. I know that a goal is a worthwhile endeavor, but I know my health comes first, and from someone who has struggled with an eating disorder that is huge.  My boys see their mom work hard towards her dreams and I think it inspires them to do the same and that is worth any heartache from near misses.

Do you have any regrets or things you wish you'd done differently in your OTQ pursuit?
My only regret with attempting an OTQ would have been with my training last year.  I let myself feel too much pressure when running with someone else and a coach that just didn't fit.  I put their needs before mine and didn't put up better boundaries.  I wish for another chance to run with someone again as a teammate and to have the opportunity to share in my dreams just as much as I let her share in theirs.  I love how this group that you have put together has made that seem more real for me than ever, Sara.

What message would you like to send to those following your running pursuits? 
Never give up.  However, always put you first.  What I mean is, go big, but love yourself bigger; times, races, paces, accomplished workouts are great, but they cannot be fully enjoyed unless we take care of ourselves and feel at peace with where we are at right now.

I also want others to know I am not super woman.  I "do it all", but not always well.  I have a lot on my plate, but most of the time something suffers if I am not careful about slowing down and taking some me time (that doesn't include getting a workout in either, it has to be something completely relaxing with no expectation attached).

What's next for you? 
I was asked to help someone accomplish a sub-3 marathon.  I LOVE the idea of helping others in the pursuit of accomplishing their own goals.

Personally, I plan on going after that time again in the spring, but without the pressure of the Trials, just the moment to share with my boys at the finish line, like I've always dreamed of.  Since I'm an older lady in the sport my next personal goal is to run 100 miles.  I've done an ultra, but that distance interests me.

Lastly, to keep cheering you all on! I am the biggest fan of women in this sport and the tenacity and spirit I have seen following all of you amazing runners.  It is so inspiring to see the grit and grace that you all possess and it keeps me going.


3 comments:

  1. I love "go big but love yourself bigger". What a great message!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Danielle has such a genuine and caring heart for others! Both of you gals inspire me so much. Sara, you really should turn this blog series into a podcast! Just saying :) I’m going to get through all of these eventually! ��

    ReplyDelete