Monday, February 10, 2020

2:45:01 and Beyond: Heather Laptalo

Heather has an incredible story that is going to make you want to challenge your limits and chase your dreams! This woman was told by multiple doctors she was “too disabled to run” and pulled off a 2:45:59 at CIM 2019, followed by a valiant effort at Houston 2020 just 5 weeks later. Just looking at the photos of gorgeous scenery she posts will make you want to go for a run in nature, but her fighting spirit will inspire you even more.


Name: Heather Laptalo
Age: 35
City/State: Portland, OR
Occupation: Marketing

Hobbies/interests outside of running: 
Skiing, climbing, backpacking, improv
When did you start chasing the OTQ and what inspired you to try?
Summer of 2019.  My friends that I run with all the time either had qualified or were training to try and qualify... I figured since I was running and training with them, I also had a shot at qualifying.  Having a good size group of women to work with to chase down this goal, made the training fun and seeing my friends get faster and pull me along, really inspired me to see how fast I could get.

Tell us about the races you attempted to OTQ at and the outcomes. 
I ran Grandmas in June 2019 to get my feet wet in the marathon distance.  It had been over a decade since running a marathon and back then, I didn't train for the marathons I ran and my fastest time was a 3:20. After becoming friends with and started training with the Portland Roses (elite group of female distances runners in Portland), I got inspired to see how fast I could run a marathon so I planned to run CIM 2018.  I got injured in my last workout before the race (strained hamstring) and pulled out of the race after all my doctors told me my hamstring couldn't handle the race.  I had 2 friends that I was training with qualify at CIM 2018.  After seeing them qualify, I was determined to get healthy and train at a qualifying pace. 

I then ran Grandmas and ran a 2:51:16.  After that, I started training harder and more focused on that sub 2:45 pace and went to try again at CIM 2019.  That training cycle + race, I had so much more confidence because I knew so much more about the distance and my body.  A few weeks before the race, I had a minor surgery that resulted in some chronic nausea.  I was on pace for a 2:44:30 marathon finish at CIM up until mile 23-ish where I could no longer fight off the nausea.  I puked crazy amounts... it was as if every ounce of liquid I consumed that day didn't get absorbed.  I don't think I've ever puked that much in my life.  I thought about quitting because I knew I wasn't going to be able to hit my time and felt SO horrible, but I picked myself up and ran as hard as I could to try and get my B goal (sub 2:50)... I had no idea as to where I was at time wise in the race and ended up crossing the finish line in 2:45:59. Then puked a bunch at the finish line.  My friend that I was running with up until my puke session finished in 2:44:48.  I was heartbroken because if it hadn't been for the need for that surgery which caused all kinds of stomach problems, I would have qualified.  I would have been able to stay with my friend. 

I started working with my doctors to fix the nausea problem and got into Houston, which was just 5 weeks after CIM to try again.  Unfortunately, that turnaround time was too quick.  My body just wasn't ready for another hard effort and around mile 20, I knew if wouldn't happen so I just jogged in the last 10K and finished in 2:52.

What did you gain from this journey?
The body is so resilient! I have learned so much about my body and strength, not just physical but mental strength as well.  I was told I'd never be able to run, not even a mile.  I'm too disabled according to doctors.  I've had 3 back surgeries.  My spine is 85% fused and I'm missing 40% of my lung capacity and I'm considered 20% disabled due to my lack of mobility, ability to absorb shock and lack of lung capacity.  I have learned that as long as I believe in myself and take a bunch of small steps towards a goal, I can get there.  Just can't give up.  

What are you most proud of about your OTQ pursuit?
I'm so proud that I tried.  I was so scared to try the marathon again.  I broke pretty bad after my first couple marathons (the ones I did a decade ago) and I feared that my body couldn't handle that distance on pavement (I've run 50 mile runs on trails). I also feared I was too old (most of my running friends are younger than me and don't have all kinds of crazy medical problems like myself).  I ran 3 marathons in 6 months, all 30 min or more faster than what I ran in my mid-20s.  I'm also so proud that I picked myself up after puking and gave everything I had to get across the finish line.  I'm proud that I never gave up.  I didn't qualify this go around, but I'll get in 4 years :)

Do you have any regrets or things you wish you’d done differently in your OTQ pursuit?
Maybe try and postpone that minor surgery? - I had a large cyst on my cervix which was causing horrendous period cramps.. cramps so bad that they were causing me to puke and it was making me anemic and they wanted to make sure it wasn't cancerous.  After removing it, a bunch of scar tissue built up, which pulled on my guts, making me nauseous, causing me to puke.  UGH, it's so hard being a woman!  But overall, I listened to and trusted my coach.  I know I'm 100% physically able as long as I don't need to stop to puke.  I had a blast training with friends.  I'm the oldest, fittest and fastest I've ever been.  I was never supposed to be able to run and ran a 2:45:59 with stopping to puke.  I think that's impressive so I can't be too mad.  If there was no such thing as an OTQ, I would have been on cloud 9 with that performance.  Just makes me sad to have just missed qualifying and it makes me sad to not get to go to Atlanta with all my friends.


What message would you like to send to those following your running pursuits?
Never give up.  Keep trying.  Keep working.  Believe in yourself, always.  And when going into a race, always have B, C and even D goals so that if you know in a race you won't hit your A goal, there are still more goals to chase down, so keep going.

Tell us something unique about yourself. 
I set off metal detectors because there is so much metal in my body :)

What’s next for you?
Adventuring.  Running around mountains and up and over mountains.  I'm working on getting better at skiing and rock climbing.  And I plan to run CIM 2020 in December, chasing down a new PR :)

Anything else you want to share?
We are all far more capable than we realize.

Connect with Heather on Instagram or her website.  Read more about her story here.


1 comment: