Sunday, February 23, 2020

2:45:01 and Beyond: Elizabeth Scott

Elizabeth learned some lessons from her OTQ-pursuit that I think we can all benefit from remembering:  not comparing ourselves to others, using a schedule that helps us run fast while balancing the others stressors in our lives, and dispelling negative self-talk. This woman also ran workouts at 3 a.m. before 28-hour shifts while training to be an Emergency Medicine Physician, ran after long cross-country flights, and ran 1 mile loops around her neighborhood; she sure exemplifies dedication!  She will plan her next marathon after she knows where she will be for her medical residency, but she also knows she is just getting started and there is always 2024, AND 2028.


Name: Elizabeth Scott
Age: 28
City/State: Los Angeles, CA
Occupation: 4th Year Medical Student, soon to be Emergency Medicine Resident Physician! 

Hobbies/interests outside of running:
Backpacking/hiking, yoga, baking weird treats without a recipe, fancy coffee

When did you start chasing the OTQ and what inspired you to try?
The idea first crossed my mind in 2012 when I watched my Impala Racing teammates qualify and dominate the trials. At that time I was still in college, riddled with injuries but totally inspired by these women that not only ran fast but had full lives outside of running. At the Houston marathon in 2019 I had a breakthrough, going from a 3:05 marathon to a 2:51 on a picture-perfect day. I ran a smooth race with very manageable training and realized 2:45 was not too far off! 

Tell us about the races you attempted to OTQ at and the outcomes.
I only gave myself one chance to OTQ: CIM 2019. Given my school schedule, traveling for residency interviews, and my history of injuries; multiple marathons in a year did not seem wise. I also liked the idea of giving it my all without a back up plan. I got to the starting line at CIM humbly confident and fully knowing I was ready to let it hurt. Unfortunately, my body did not quite cooperate that day and around mile 10 I realized I was working pretty hard to stay on pace. By mile 14 I had fallen off 6:15's and just knew I would have to grind. Despite not making the time, I can truly say I gave every ounce of what I had on the day and learned how mentally tough I can be. I also fully realize that a year ago I would have been overjoyed to run a 2:53 so running that on my "worst day" is an accomplishment in itself. 

What did you gain from this journey?
Wow, so much. First, I learned how to train within the limitations of my busy schedule AND stay healthy. I dropped comparison to others and worked closely with my coach (Andres de La Cruz @Adrenalinerunning) to create a schedule that would not only make me fast but considered all the other stressors I have in my life. Second, I really dispelled a lot of negative self-talk about no being good enough or "elite enough" to pursue a big goal. I still struggle with seeing myself as a "2:51 marathoner" or "sub-elite" but even attempting an OTQ and getting within striking distance has been really impactful on my mental game. Finally, I learned how amazing this running community it-- from my awesome training partners in Los Angeles who basically just ran whatever long run I was prescribed each weekend to my remote teammates on the Impalas to everyone who dares to go for big goals; runners are truly a special breed.

What are you most proud of about your OTQ pursuit?
I am most proud of the day-to-day dedication to this goal and consistency. There were times when I had to run workouts at 3 a.m. before going in for a 28 hour shift, after long cross-country flights, or around a 1 mile loop in my neighborhood. I am also proud of my last 10k at CIM where, despite knowing 2:45 was not going to happen, I pushed myself as hard as I could and passed a good 80-90 people!

Do you have any regrets or things you wish you’d done differently in your OTQ pursuit?
Nothing really! There is always 2024... 2028... I am just getting started!

What message would you like to send to those following your running pursuits?
Your training does not have to look like anyone else's to work. All that matters is staying healthy and fired up. Even at 3 a.m., there is never a run I am not grateful for!

Tell us something unique about yourself.
Oh man, I am definitely very unique (read: weird). My friends would probably say my weirdest attribute is that I don't like melted cheese.

What’s next for you?
Fast road races this spring! And I guess this small thing called residency :) I fully plan to continue training and racing throughout residency but will plan my next marathon once I figure out what I'll be moving for the next 4 years!

Anything else you’d like to share?
Honestly, the true hero in this journey is my husband. He picks up all the slack as I work crazy hours and run even crazier miles. Without him I would probably eat peanut butter for every meal and never have believed I could attempt this lofty goal! 

No comments:

Post a Comment